Monday, September 15, 2008

Mediating point - The relationship between money and friends

It's always been accepted as a fact that you're either religious or scientific, idealist or materialistic. I have been experiencing great conflict since I started changing from someone who saw money as a burden and a cop-out from living a 'true' life to someone who embraces money in a new definition - one where I'm applying all that I have been given to generate value that I can exchange for money - which I can then go ahead and give it all away.

There seems to only be two groups of people. The first, a group that is motivated purely by the fear of lack of money and how it defines them and their value, a group that builds their wall of security with symbolisms of things money can buy. The second, a group that denies the legitimacy of everything that the first group defines their life as. In between, you have one which is either more to the first or the second, but not that much different to be able to be a distinct third group  by themselves. 

For most of my life, I have been more comfortable with the second group because the first group seem pre-occupied with very narrow and shallow definitions of Life and the Purpose of Existence. To have people who accept you as a friend because you have no money is almost as bad as to have people accept you as a friend because you have money. Where do I find people who accept me IN SPITE of not having money and people who will IN SPITE of me having money?

I guess that's why people who have money have moneyed friends and people who don't are surrounded by people who are constantly running into debt and borrowing money. There are the temporary situations where the moneyed attract poorer company for lack of some company - and there's almost always an eventual fall-out. People fall-out of friendships and relationships over money more than over anything else, don't you think?

It's really strange how people put so much weight in defining life based on a political opinion of money. If you're poor, you'll lose friends when you start to make money, because your friends either hate you for having it or hate you for not lending it to them. If you're rich, you'll lose friends when you lose money, because your friends either hate you for not being able to enjoy the benefits you've been paying them in exchange for their company or because you're borrowing money from them. 

Each time I change, I suffer casualties in terms of friendships. What hurts is that I was perfectly sincere in offering my friendship and accepting theirs, only to find out that I served as some kind of marker to validate their beliefs or self-esteem either way. I want to change for the better and then people start disliking me for it. And I feel so conflicted.

Should I hold back and not share with people I consider 'a friend'? How did I insult them without even saying anything personal to them? How did I insult them simply by asking a hypothetical or philosophical question?

Would it mean that as I start becoming ambitious - I would lose almost everything in my comfort zone? How silly of me. I already know the answer. The day when I made the decision that I no longer wanted to own a Fear of Success and its twin, a Fear of Failure, was the day I knew I had to breakthrough to go up. 

I think we can only be responsible for our own life and decisions - and generosity entails being sincere and honest in sharing and giving, even if someone hates you for the information. How many lives have been arrested from their speediest development because others held back wisdom, knowledge and information? What people do with what we share with them, and what they do to us is a reflection of them. Our generosity and sincerity is a reflection of ourselves. 

No comments: