Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Let us be more afraid of cursing and being cynical than we are of having faith and encouraging others.

The next blog is an excerpt (actually, almost the entire email) of a conversation which reflects the state of mind that's been haunting me in recent weeks. I do not claim that I have succeeded in what I believe and have an "I told you so" authority about the things I have been writing about recently.However, it seems that when we're angry or spiteful or merely find it is our habit to pour cold water on other people's beliefs, we hardly have trouble. At best, we are silent observers even when we realize we appreciate the fact that someone else is doing something we're too cynical to do ourselves. (I suppose that is why signing an online petition and forwarding it or giving money is so much easier for people to do - because those actions are impersonal and 'blind'.

Making a personal commitment to support someone's worthy struggle, even if that person is not your sister/brother, uncle/aunt, friend or neighbour, is that much harder. We tend to hold back instead of encouraging others and support each other's momentum to achieve certain ideals in life. I don't know why we find it 'malufying' (embarassing) to just go up to someone and say, "Hey, I  believe in you!"

Wait,.....actually, I do know why. It's our upbringing. We're always made to be weary of strangers and sugarcoated words. Oh, but we're all grown ups here. Growing up means we've added to our experiences in life to know how to pick our friends and stay away from our enemies.  

The maddening pace at which I have been writing is drawing to a close.  My wrists and fingers deserve a hiatus from writing.....my writing voice needs to go into hibernation. 

The following link brings you to an article which reflected pretty accurately the thoughts I have been having since inflation hit SEA. (There are so many themes and thoughts at any one time in my mind, really.) I was rather affected, emotionally, when I read about how inflation hits the lowest economic brackets first and hardest. 

Here's Perez' writing which I commented on : http://magnificent.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/money-for-food/#comments


No comments: